Holiday Side Dishes: Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
November 23, 2017
2 Lbs Fresh Green Beans
1/2 Pack of Bacon
1/2 White Onion
1 cup Monterey Cheese
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
3 cups Half and Half
1/2 jar of Pimentos
1/4 cup Flower
4 tbls butter
1 tbls Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
2 cups Crispy Onions
2 Cloves of Garlic
- Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next blanch the green beans: drop them into lightly salted boiling water and allow the green beans to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove them from the boiling water and immediately drop them into a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain them once they are cool and set aside.
- Add the bacon pieces to a skillet. Cook the bacon for 2 minutes, and then add the garlic and onions.
- Continue cooking until the bacon is done (but not crisp) and the onions are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate medium heat saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and whisk immediately to evenly mix it into the butter. Cook for a minute or 2, and then pour in the half-and-half, chicken broth, and red wine vinegar. Continue cooking, whisking quickly and constantly, while the sauce thickens for about 2 minutes. Season with salt, some black pepper, the cayenne, and then add the grated cheese. Stir while the cheese melts.
- Turn off the heat, add the bacon/onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the green beans in casserole dish, pour the cheese sauce over, bake until the sauce is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Cover with crispy onions when done and enjoy!